Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Bye Bye Builder Oak!

We had our home built 7 years ago.....and that outdated blonde oak is everywhere. There is nothing wrong with oak, but it's just not for me. People have told me it's a "sin" to cover natural oak. Well, then I guess I'm a sinner because I love the results!


 This required lots of sanding, which is never fun. I used Rust-Oleum Ultimate Wood Stain in Kona, which is similar to an espresso wood color. I simply followed the directions on the stain and then applied a top coat of polyurethane.  I would recommended finding a gel stain because the regular stuff is messy!

2 comments:

  1. We also have blonde oak all over our house, everywhere. In every room, on 2 of the 3 floors, on the windows, on the kitchen cabinets, the doors, and the base boards. It's killing me. And along with yellow walls, nothing says 1990s like this home.

    I love what you did with the dark stain. But I also noticed you have white base boards, if those were oak, would you stain those as well? Our house is 3500 sq ft, and it's going to take me forever to stain if that's the route I go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi AnnaCi! I would stain the banisters first and see how that looks with the baseboards. Personally I would probably want to stain the oak baseboards as well but that does sound like a lot of work on a large home! If you can do a gel stain it will go MUCH quicker! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete